The Stokke Xplory is no stranger to Dubai or Abu Dhabi. I see it quite often in the malls and around town, but even though its sightings are becoming frequent, it doesn’t take from the allure of it. Its sleek and luxurious, and definitely one of the most stylish strollers around. We’ve been using the Stokke Xplory for about 4 months now, and I love taking it out and about.
Its easy to make the most of the Stokke Xplory because it can be used from newborn up to 4 years of age. I have two little ones, an 8 month old and a just-turned 3 year-old. We got the stroller when my youngest was 4 months old. We also got it with the newborn Carry Cot because its recommended for kids to be in that (as opposed to the regular seat) from when they are newborns until they weigh 20 lbs. However, I found that I was comfortable with her being in the regular seat at the age of 4 months. My son ( the almost-3-year-old at the time), fit perfectly into the seat as well and still sits comfortably in it!
- Adjustable Height: This is a feature you don’t find in too many strollers. Its great because your baby can sit as high or as low as you want. I prefer to keep mine at the higher-level so that I can easily engage with my baby. Its great for tall parents, but also works just as well for shorter people. Its very easy to adjust the height and we change it based on who is pushing the stroller (me or the nanny). Also, when I’m at a restaurant, I can easily use the Stokke Xplory as a high chair because it adjusts so well and can be pulled right up the table.
- Seat: The seat is also very adjustable and reclinable. You can have your baby facing you or the world. When he or she is facing you, you can recline the seat all the way back, but thats not possible when your child is facing the outside. The outside facing seat has two positions, while the parent-facing one has three.
- Handlebar: The handlebar on this stroller is actually really cool. Its shaped like a half-circle, and is great for an easy and firm grip. Even this is adjustable! You can have it all the way up, leaned towards you, or all the way down to make for a more compact fold.
- Colors and Material: The Stokke Xplory v5 comes in several different colors, but can always be even more customized with the hundreds of different add-ons that you can purchase. We have the Beige Melange material, which is a beautiful sandy color. The material is very high quality and I love that its all washable! I’m very meticulous about keeping my strollers clean so everything still looks brand new after several months of using this one. I do have to warn you though, if you’re not a neat-freak like me, it is a bit difficult to keep it clean because the color allows a lot of different streaks and stains to show. Again, everything is washable, so theres a lot of relief in knowing that!
- Maneuverability: The stroller is one smooooth ride! Its very easy to maneuver and feels light to push. The front wheels can be direction-locked if you’re going through a rough area (e.g. cobble stone) in order to have more control.
- Storage: The storage is the diaper bag. Its great because when you buy the stroller, you don’t need to get a separate diaper bag, and worry about whether it fits or not. Its actually quite spacious and can easily fit everything that I need for my 4 month old and for my 3 year old– milk, diapers, extra outfits, snacks, toys, etc. The bag locks perfectly in place and can be taken off easily, whenever needed.
- Accessories: Stokke has the most accessories that I’ve seen, compared to any other stroller brand. You can customize every little part of your stroller, and make it look like you have several different strollers if you choose to purchase different patterned kits. Its the perfect brand to go with if you like putting your own touch to the things you own.
Stokke gives you the ability to add as much or as little as you want to the stroller. Here is what we’ve gotten for ours:
- Sibling Board: With 2 kids that are 2.5 years apart, this was kind of a ‘must’. The sibling board allows your older child to ride along in a fun way, while the younger one sits in the seat. Since the handlebar can easily be brought up and down, your ‘skateboarder’ child can hold the bottom part of the handle, while you hold the top. Its quite comfortable for both the parent and child. Its also very easy to tuck the sibling board away if you don’t need to use it. You don’t have to completely take it off of the stroller if you decide to go out without your older child.
- Parasol: The umbrella is a cute little addition to the stroller. To be honest, I wouldn’t say that its totally necessary, but its nice because it can be twisted and turned to help fully block off any light or nuisance that may be bothering your baby. I found it to be most helpful while my little one sleeps while we’re in a restaurant. We live in Dubai and its just too hot to be spending most of our time outdoors, but I would recommend it for those who do!
- Carry Cot: I talked a little bit about the Newborn Carry Cot before. I think its a great addition if you’re purchasing the stroller before your baby is 5 months old. After that, they’ll be just as comfortable in a reclined position in the regular seat. The carry cot is sold separately. In the below picture, I didn’t add the hood, but its the exact same one from the regular seat:
- Cupholder: This to me, is an absolute must. The cupholder is actually not included in the original packaging of the stroller, and needs to be purchased separately. I can’t live without it, and I would suggest that you purchase this at the same time you purchase the stroller!
I currently have 5 strollers in the house and although I love them all ( I wouldn’t have purchased them if I didn’t), each one of them has some kind of flaw. After using the Stokke Xplory for a few months, I found that its a bit difficult to fold. It requires several steps which can take up time, and you need to have two free hands and one free foot to do it. Also, when it is folded, its not very compact, and if you have a small car, that can be quite challenging. With a full household, we have larger cars (again, another common thing in this region), so that’s not too much of an issue, but its something to consider if you have a small, compact car.
What Its Best For:
I bought some strollers because they are good for traveling, some I got because they’re unique and a bit flashy, others because they have loads of storage space and are good for large shopping trips, etc.
What category does the Stokke Xplory fall under? Its my go-to mall/restaurant/’light-day-out’ stroller. As I mentioned before, its perfect for restaurants and cafes because you can double it as a high chair. Its very elegant to take out to nice places, and it looks very dignified and chic. I love that its fashionable but also very practical for two kids (with the sibling board).
The Stokke Xplory is a high-end stroller and has a price to match. Its not the most expensive in the lot, but its up there. Is it worth it? I think so!
Stokke Xplory v5- AED 5,000
Stokke Xplory Carry Cot- AED 999
Stokke Xplory Sibling Board- AED 475
Stokke Stroller Parasol- AED 229
Stokke Stroller Cupholder- AED 99
Where you can buy it in the UAE:
Just Kidding ME (they have the largest Stokke range of products, not only in Dubai but in the world!)